1948-1975 :: Clarendon School for Girls
Clarendon School was founded in 1898 in Malvern by Miss Amy Flint and her two sisters in a house called Clarendon. The school began with just six pupils.
In 1917 they were joined by Miss E G R Swain. When Miss Flint and her sisters retired in 1930, Miss Swain borrowed the money and became the new owner and headmistress of Clarendon School with 48 pupils and 8 staff.
By 1945 the school had grown to 150 pupils and needed bigger premises. After visiting Kinmel Hall in 1947 and finding it perfectly suited their needs, Kinmel Hall and its park was purchased with the help of Sir John Laing and placed into a Trust so the mortgage could be paid off over time.
Clarendon School remained at Kinmel Hall until a fire devastated the south west wing on 29th September 1975. When the fire was eventually brought under control the entire south west wing and west front had been completely gutted and the east front had been badly damaged.
The cost and time to rebuild was too great for Clarendon School for Girls and it was forced to move away from Kinmel Hall. They relocated in early 1976 to Haynes Park in Bedfordshire.
Kinmel Hall remained derelict until 1978 when it became a Christian Conference Centre.