About Kinmel Hall Images Coming Soon

1979 - 1999 :: Christian Conference Centre

After the fire of 1975, Kinmel Hall was purchased by Major Fetherstonhaugh who was a descendent of the Hughes family. It remained derelict until an inspired visionary emerged.

Eddy Vince was an Evangelist Church Minister with a passion for old buildings. He carved out a business by restoring them to become Christian Conference and Youth Training Centres.

In July 1978 Eddy Vince visited the now derelict Kinmel Hall. He contacted the owner with a proposition to restore it and in October 1978 was granted a 999 year lease with the first 99 years at a peppercorn rent. The freehold remained with Major Fetherstonhaugh.

Despite a chronic lack of finance and resources, Kinmel Hall was slowly restored. The stables were initially used for conferences so Kinmel Hall could generate money toward the renovation.

Grants from the Historic Buildings Council for Wales covered 40% of the cost with the remaining 60% found by generous contributions from well wishers and dogged determination by Eddy Vince, his family and his growing team of supporters and volunteers.

The first conference took place in August 1979 and restoration continued over the following years.

Kinmel Hall operated successfully as a Christian Conference Centre and youth training venue from 1979-1999. It remained empty until it was sold at auction in 2001 to Derbyshire Investments who planned to turn it into a luxury hotel. These plans did not become a reality.